Anthony Coyne is President of MGGM and specializes in commercial, municipal law, zoning and planning, eminent domain, real property, litigation.
An expert on urban affairs, he has authored several papers and was called upon to serve as Executive Assistant to the Director of Transition for Mayor Michael R. White’s transition into his first term as Mayor of the City of Cleveland. He was Judicial Extern in 1987 for Judge Alice M. Batchelder of the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
Mr. Coyne earned a B.A. from John Carroll University, an M.S. from Cleveland State University, Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs and a J.D. from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University. He is licensed to practice in the State of Ohio and has been admitted to the following courts:
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
He is a frequent guest lecturer and has spoken before organizations such as National Business Institute, Lorman Educations Series, Cleveland and Ohio State Bar Associations, Ohio Planning Conference, CLE International Seminar on Eminent Domain, Urban Land Institute and International Council on Shopping Centers on such topics as eminent domain, zoning and land use and municipal law.
Active in the community, Mr. Coyne has been Chair of the Planning Commission for the City of Cleveland since 2000. He started his tenure with the City of Cleveland's Planning Commission in 1990. In addition, he was appointed by Mayor Frank Jackson in June 2010 to serve as Chair of the newly-created Group Plan Commission of the City of Cleveland.
He is also involved with:
- Cleveland State University, Albert A. Levin Chair of Urban Studies and Public Service Advisory Committee
- Blue Coats
- Citizens League of Greater Cleveland
- City Club of Cleveland
- Urban Land Institute
- Board of Directors, Community Service Alliance
- Board of Directors, Ohio Canal Corridor
- Board of Directors, Wingspan Care group, a not-for-profit parent company of Applewood Centers, Inc., Bellefaire JCB and Monarch Teaching Technologies.
During his career, Anthony Coyne has received the following awards and honors:
- Graduate Assistantship to Honorary Levin Chair. Assisted in planning the Anglo-American Colloquiums on Urban Innovations in Birmingham, England
- 1984 AAG International Conference (American Association of Geographers), delivered paper entitled “Urban Waterfront Development: A Comparative Study on Implementation Structures in Toronto and Cleveland.” Received an award for the best graduate research paper for 1984-1985 at the College of Urban Affairs.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Cleveland State University (June 2007);
- Dean’s Distinguished Alumni Award, Cleveland State University, Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs (January 1994)
- Certificate of Recognition as Member of Government Relations Committee, Catholic Charities Services Corporation (1989-1994)
- Award by President’s Council of John Carroll University (2003-2004); named a Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyer magazine from 2005-2007.
Tony and his family reside in Ohio City. His wife, Rachelle, is very active in the community as well as many civic organizations.
Board of Trustees v. City of Painesville (6th Cir. 1999), 200 F.3d 396
Court St. Dev.v. Stow City Council (9th Dist. 1998), 129 Ohio App. 3d.359
Danis Clarkco Landfill Co. v. Trustees of German Twp., No. C-3-96-481, 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 21037 (S.D. Ohio December 15, 1997)
Kishmarton v. William Bailey Constr., Inc. (2001), 93 Ohio St. 3d 226
Loreto Dev. Co. v. Village of Chardon (1998), 81 Ohio St. 3d. 1239
City of Mentor v. Osborne, Nos. 98-L-226, 98-L-228, 98-L-229, 98-L-230, 201 Ohio App. LEXIS 2355 (11th Dist. May 25, 2001)
Murray Energy Corp. v. City of Pepper Pike (8th Dist.), 2008-Ohio-2818
City of North Olmsted v. North Olmsted Land Holdings (8th Dist. 2000), 137 Ohio App.3d 1
State ex rel. Michael Shemo v. City of Mayfield Heights (2002), 96 Ohio St.3d 379
Visconsi-Royalton, Ltd. v. City of Strongsville (8th Dist.), 2004-Ohio-4908